This is a draft whose main purposes are:
1) To encourage discussion around a number of issues and to push the development of GRUAN on various fronts.
2) To encourage members of the GRUAN community to submit material for assimilation into the manual. As this happens, some discussion is likely to be required, especially around contentious issues. But such discussion is vital to progress the development of GRUAN.
The GRUAN manual must serve the GRUAN community and this will be best achieved when members of the GRUAN community actively participate in its development. To that end we would ask you to:
1) Read through this document.
2) Submit material to Greg Bodeker who is coordinating the development of this manual. Greg is prepared to accept input in any form. It can be as simple as saying “Greg please incorporate the attached paper into the manual” or as detailed as using the MS Word revision tools to make suggested changes to the attached document. The document is also available on google docs if you would like to use that facility for making suggested changes/additions you can do so here.
3) Engage in discussion on some of the issues that might be raised in the manual. The best way to do this is to initiate a new discussion thread on the GRUAN blog and then ask people to comment on that. Greg will also keep an eye on the blog for such activity which will then also provide input to the manual.
The intention is to develop the next version of the manual by ICM-3 (28
February) so the earlier you can get the material to Greg the more likely it will be included before that date.
Any other comments on the manual as it stands would be much appreciated.
But please note that:
1) This is a first draft. If you are unhappy with any aspects of the manual you have the ability to change it.
2) The manual is going to require regular revision. This will not be the last opportunity for you to provide input to the manual.
3) This document must belong to the community. This will only happen if you get involved in its development. Please make the most of this opportunity to do so.
Greg, Holger, Franz