Attached is a document describing the requirements for GRUAN station regarding the pre-launch procedures for routine soundings with Vaisala RS92 radiosondes. In order to obtain high data quality, ensure long term stability, and to make sure that measurement uncertainties are within the ranges that are reported in the product files, it is important that some ground checks are made before launch in the way described in this document and that the meta-data are reported to the GRUAN lead centre.
Here I like to discuss in particular the following issues with station managers:
- any questions about of the procedure that might require a more detailed description
- requirements for assistance for the implementation
- conflicts with existing launch procedures at a site
- means for ensuring data quality other than those described in the document
- any other issues that station managers might have regarding RS92 launches.
After a discussion period that will end by the end of July 2011 this document will be published on the GRUAN website as a GRUAN technical document (GRUAN-TD-5).
Everyone interested in this discussion is welcome to add comments to this post or send comments directly to me by mail.