GCOS-180: The Report of the sixth GCOS Reference Upper Air Network Implementation and Coordination Meeting (GRUAN ICM-6), Greenbelt, MD, USA, 10 March – 14 March 2014 is available.
The sixth GCOS Reference Upper-Air Network (GRUAN) Implementation and Coordination Meeting (ICM-6) was held from 10 to 14 March 2014 near the GRUAN site of Howard University at Beltsville, MD, USA. The meeting was supported by the US GCOS Program Office at the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) National Climatic Data Centre (NCDC), the NOAA Climate Program Office (CPO), Howard University, and the GCOS Secretariat at the World Meteorological Organization (WMO). The meeting included a site visit to the Beltsville atmospheric observing facility of Howard University and the NOAA National Weather Service (NWS) Sterling Field Support Center at Sterling, VA, USA.
The annual GRUAN meetings afford an opportunity for the Working Group on GRUAN (WG‑GRUAN), the GRUAN Lead Centre, Task Teams, and representatives from initial and prospective GRUAN sites and other stakeholders to review progress to date, highlight issues and exchange views. The meeting agenda is included as Appendix 2.
The meeting’s main goals were to update participants on GRUAN progress and to discuss new developments, with a focus on:
- Maximizing the utility of GRUAN activities and measurements to benefit the Global Observing System. In this regard the presence of representatives from the WMO Integrated Global Observing System (WIGOS), NOAA and NASA was noted with appreciation by attendees.
- Progress on site certification,
- Progress on network expansion,
- Establishing links with the scientific and meteorological communities,
- Review the progress of the work plans for the GRUAN Lead Centre, the WG-GRUAN, and GRUAN task teams,
- Consider new data streams to include in coming years as called for in the current GRUAN Implementation Plan.
Rather than being a full record of the meeting, this report summarizes and synthesizes key discussions and outcomes. The meeting notes were recorded through an online collaboration by the meeting participants and finalized by the Lead Centre in cooperation with the WG‑GRUAN and GCOS Secretariat. All documents prepared in support of ICM-6, and all meeting presentations, are available on the GRUAN website at gruan.org (under Meetings à Beltsville 2014).